Posted on 22 September 2017
This easy creamy gravy, spiked with Marsala wine, can be whisked together while the main event of your meal is cooking. Start by browning mushrooms in butter to give the gravy plenty of savory flavor. Add flour to thicken, simmer in Marsala wine and beef broth, and finish with heavy cream. Serve this versatile gravy with everything from meatloaf to beef Wellington.
yields: 8 Servings prep time: 10 Minutes cook time: 15 Minutes
3 Tbsp 6 oz. 1 Tbsp To taste To taste 1/4 cup 1/4 cup 2 cups 1/4 cup 1/4 cup
Butter Mushrooms, cremini thinly sliced Shallot finely chopped Salt Kosher Pepper ground All-purpose flour Marsala wine Beef broth Buerre manie Cream heavy
6 oz.Mushrooms, cremini thinly sliced
1 TbspShallot finely chopped
To tasteSalt Kosher
To tastePepper ground
1/4 cupAll-purpose flour
1/4 cupMarsala wine
2 cupsBeef broth
1/4 cupBuerre manie
1/4 cupCream heavy
- Ahead of time: prepare 1/4 cup Buerre manie (equal parts flour and soft butter. Incorporate with a fork).
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the mushrooms and shallots and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring rarely, until the mushrooms are slightly browned and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium, sprinkle in the flour, and stir to coat the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the flour is lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until the wine is completely reduced, about 30 seconds.
- Slowly pour in the broth or stock and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the gravy has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. May have to add Beurre manie to thicken.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.